Beyond Financial Gain: Other Reasons To Start A Business
If you were to survey business owners as to the raison d’etre behind starting a business, you would probably experience many of the same answers.
“It’s all about the money.”
And why not? We all want to feel financially secure, so if a part or full-time business can offer the scope for greater financial freedom, then this is an excellent reason to begin something.
However, there are other reasons for starting a business that go beyond financial gain.
- For your health. Are you sick and tired of the daily commute? Are work pressures getting you down? If so, quitting the rat race and starting out on your own could bring great benefits to your health. You would have the opportunity to work from home for a start, so that would cut out the stresses of traveling to and from work. And you might have the opportunity to follow your passions within your business, giving you a greater sense of happiness and fulfillment as a positive consequence.
- For other people’s health. If you have an interest in the health industry, you could make a positive impact on the wellbeing of others. You might take the example of (and use the resources) of Cambridge Stratum, and sell products that promote better skin care. Or you might sell health foods, be that online, or to your local community by setting yourself up in the food takeout business. Or you could start a blogging business, and educate the masses on fitness and nutrition. There are plenty more healthcare business ideas here, so take a look if this is something that interests you.
- For your creative skills. Especially when you have struggled to use your creative talents within your usual job role, starting your own business could be the best way forwards. No matter what you create, be it cakes, works of art, photographs, or pottery (as just some examples), you can sell what you make online and at the relevant places within your community.
- For your family. Do your family bemoan the fact that you are always at work? Then do the right thing by them and start a business from home. This way, you will have the flexibility to both care for your family’s needs and your work needs. Of course, your business can benefit your family in other ways. Should your children see you working hard, they might be more inclined to work harder at school. You might also open up your business to your children when they are older, giving them the option of running it with you. Your business might then continue long after you have retired.
- For the fun of it. Running a business can be hard work, but if you enjoy what you are doing, then you won’t mind toiling away. Not many people truly find fun in the work they do, but as a business can be shaped to your lifestyle and passions, you might get that fun factor that other people generally miss out on. Here are some fun business ideas to give you inspiration.
So, be it for money or for one of the other reasons mentioned here, consider starting a business if you haven’t yet done so. We aren’t saying it will be easy, but there may be benefits available to you that are not covered by your current job role.
Let us know what you think!
Thanks for reading.